Squadron History Index
No. 425 Squadron
The badge is derived from the squadron nickname Alouetté, and the motto comes from the refrain of the French Canadian folk song. The lark is shown in hovering position indicative of a bomber over the target about to strike at the enemy.
No. 425 Squadron was formed as a French-Canadian squadron (named 'Alouette') on 22 June 1942 at Dishforth. It was equipped with Vickers Wellington Mk IIIs and Mk Xs, which it first took into action early in October 1942. Night bombing was its task and this continued in 1943 when it transferred to No. 331 Wing at Kairouan in Tunisia for operations against Sicily and Italy during mid-1943. In November it returned to Dishforth to the more deadly operations over Germany, and by December had re-equipped with Handley Page Halifax Mk IIIs, which it took on operations from its new base at Tholthorpe beginning in February 1944. For the next 14 months the squadron flew on every night it was required against the Third Reich, and dropped over 11,000 tons of bombs during its operational career, which ended on 25 April 1945. Immediately after VE-Day it was re-equipped with Avro Lancaster Mk Xs which it took back to Canada to prepare for 'Tiger Force'. Based at Debert from June 1945, the squadron was eventually disbanded there on 5 September 1945.
Re-formed at RCAF Station St-Hubert on 1 October 1954 as an all-weather fighter squadron. It spent a short time at RCAF Station Namao (from October 1961 to July 1962) as the CF-101 Operational Training Unit before moving to its present home at 3 Wing Bagotville. Upon unification of the forces No. 425 Alouetté was a French language squadron that was an air defence squadron equipped with the CF-101 Voodoo interceptor. The squadron was based at CFB Bagotville, Quebec. The squadron was re-equipped in the early 80's with CF-18 Hornet.
No. 425 Alouetté is a French language squadron based at CFB Bagotville, PQ currently flying the CF-18 Hornet.